Saturday, December 20, 2008

Are we letting men off easy with text messaging?

Last night, I went out with a female co-worker after work. I swore I wasn't going to drink until New Year's Eve, but you know what, I don't care. You're only young once, and besides, I wasn't planning on getting drunk. While we were out at the bar, I got a text message from down syndrome council member about going to breakfast. We must have text messaged back and forth about 20 times before firming up plans for lunch instead of breakfast. I happened to be out at a bar and couldn't really talk.

Actually, that's a lie. I could have gone outside to talk to him, but I had just met this nice guy who is a US Marshall, so I was chatting with him a little bit. I like text messaging, don't get me wrong. It's just talking on the phone is so much easier. I like getting that random text message that brightens my day, makes me smile, feel cared about. But if we are trying to discuss plans or someone really wants to get to know me, I appreciate the phone call. Better yet, I like the phone call that says I was just thinking about you, I want to see you. I'd much rather be talking in person if I have the opportunity.

Has technology made us socially awkward? Is it that much easier to use Facebook, Myspace, text messaging to communicate? Are we relying on being able to review what we say before we say it, because that is impossible to do when communicating on the phone or in person? We can script what we want to say, because that calms our nerves a little. I worry for the generations after us.

The US Marshall said something about having a hard time meeting people. I completly disagree. If I see people I think look interesting (ahem...hot guys) I have no problem going up to them and talking to them. I have the ability to still use the technology to communicate, yet I don't rely on it. I'm concerned for the people who feel the need to rely on it.

3 comments:

slopmaster said...

I guess it's because we take away all those socially awkward getting to know you moments when you use technology. I'm definitely not dependent, nor do I even like it actually. I'm with you on this post though, I do enjoy a dirty txt every once in a while.

Sparks said...

i completely agree. texting is a problem! i am guilty of it myself, because it helps take the pressure off during the getting-to-know-you stage. but i've found, it doesn't make you more comfortable in person. in fact, it probably makes things a bit more awkward, because even though you've "talked" over text, you don't have a rhythm to your conversation yet, because you've fully skipped the phone calls that once came with dating. how do we stop this?!

Always a Bridesmaid said...

What random timing for a post on texting! Check out my post from today.

Not sure if we should feel better or worse that it seems like guys EVERYWHERE are text-happy.